Homemade Gesso!

Homemade Gesso!
I love Gesso paint and use heaps of it in my work. It’s gritty, chalky and can be applied to artwork to give a translucent or opaque look. It’s also very expensive so I decided to make my own.

IMG_20140109_164334-1

Gesso is used for many things such as a primer for canvas or on paper to give a good base for painting, drawing or mixed media work.  When making collage I use it as a gluing medium to stick on papers, in-between, painting and drawing layers.

The recipe below makes 2 litres of Gesso paint

( If not using straight away, this Gesso will last approx. 4-6 weeks)

Homemade Gesso

PLASTER MIX

1 cup Plaster of Paris or fine white plaster powder

1 cup of PVA or white glue

1 cup hot water

PAINT

3 cups white acrylic paint

UTENSILS

Container, cup and mixing stick or spoon

RATIO: 1-3

Plaster Mix 1 – Acrylic paint 3

Method

To make the plaster mix. Add the plaster to the hot water and stir ( Safety purposes: always add the plaster powder to the liquid, not liquid to plaster, as it will blow up into your face and always wear a dust mask)

Dust Mask

IMG_20140109_161414

“Plaster of Paris” and cup

IMG_20140109_161439IMG_20140109_161127

Hot water and mix

IMG_20140109_161229

Next add the PVA or white glue, stir.

IMG_20140109_161303-2

Finally add the white acrylic paint and mix. ( I used some acrylic powder paint I had and made it up with water) You can use any kind of acrylic paint or colour .

IMG_20140109_161251

Result

I was very happy with the result. The gesso is translucent with the gritty bits I like. You can also do several layers of gesso to give a more opaque appearance. It covered my canvas very well with only 1 coat. When adding more than 1 coat you can sand in- between to give a really smooth surface for detailed work .

2 litres of Gesso

IMG_20140109_163812

Gesso on stretched canvas

IMG_20140109_163910

Gesso on paper

IMG_20140109_165943

© 2014 – 2017, Jenny Davis. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Homemade Gesso!”

1. Cheryl says:

great, I will try that. Thanks!

2. Nasreen Nabaoui says:

Hi there, I just wanted to ask, how long will this store for? Should you use it all up in one go or will it keep? Thanks

3. Jing says:

Hello,
    I have questions about glue that use in the gesso making, I just bought a bottle glue in art store, it say pvca on the bottle.
    I don’t know if there is difference between pva and pvca, and it is ok to use pvca in gesso making?

4. Clive says:

I was wondering if you if you could use ceramic plaster instead of Plaster of Paris? I want to make my own gesso because I ran out of the amount I had while putting it on a canvas I am working on. I did not even get a fourth of it covered. Also for the amount I need I think it would be cheaper to make my own gesso. I have everything needed but Plaster of Paris. But I do have Ceramic Plaster. Will that work?

• Jenny Davis says:

Ive never heard of ceramic plaster… I would try it on a sample canvas first and would love to hear how you go if you try it.

• Justin says:

Ceramic plaster is similar to Plaster of Paris in a lot of ways, but slower setting and the end result isn’t as fragile as Plaster of Paris.

It’s often used for things like making statues, making moulds for ceramics, various casting things. (similar to Plaster of Paris, but more specialised ;>)

And yeah, it’d probably work. Probably… 😉

5. SJ says:

Thanks for this Rachel

6. SJ says:

I found this very effective as a sandable/ textured finish over paper mâché. It’s easier to spread than I thought it would be, and it’s strong!
    I don’t think these comments are getting through, I’ll email you as well

7. Painter says:

Thanks for this ‘recipe’. I’m going to give it go, as gesso is so expensive to buy. I’ve bookmarked the page!

8. Angela says:

I was looking for a homemade gesso and came across your recipe. I have just one question. While looking I have seen some sites that say that pva glue makes a painting or other artwork non archival. Do you know if this is correct or not? It’s just that ever recipe I’ve come across for making your own gesso uses it. I don’t know if the commercially produced ones do, who knows what’s in them… But they are just way too expensive for the amounts that most people would use, in my opinion anyway. Also, if they use similar ingredients to the homemade ones then why are they so expensive?

9. Demetria says:

Hi Ms. Davis,

Do you use this gesso on all of your paintings? Because paint wasn’t my dominate medium I never learned the ins and outs of preserving canvas. (I’ve never prepped a canvas). From what I’ve I learned, I assume that a high quality varnish will preserve my acrylic paintings on canvas prepared with this homemade gesso? (I did buy Plaster of Paris after learning about this type of recipe, however I am not familiar with it, I am learning).